Best Secure Locking Mailboxes 2018: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Over the past some years, mailbox theft has become a serious issue in the world. However, the majority of the people doesn’t take it seriously and that’s why they even thought about installing the best locking mailboxes. It is always better to take precautions instead of regretting later. Anyone can reach to the traditional mailboxes and reach to your personal details.
The people living in the United States are completely aware of the identity theft as it has result some people to lose a hefty amount of money. That’s why it is a big deal for the people who get their credit card bills and other important financial bills through the mail. So, if you want to stay protected from this kind of fraud, then installing a locking mailbox is the best thing that you can do. This product is way heavier and tougher than a normal mailbox. They only have a small space from where only mails can enter the box, but it is impossible to open it without a key. It means you will no longer have to worry about the noisy neighbors and trespassers.
However, the real question is about selecting the best one. There is a range of locking mailboxes available in the market that makes it pretty difficult to choose. In order to help our readers, our team has gone through a deep research and find out top 10 best locking mailboxes for you. It will help you in selecting the one that suits your needs and budget. Read the article carefully and then make your decision.
Have a hurry?? Choose our best selection from below
Top 10 Best Secure Locking Mailboxes Reviews
Mail Boss 7506 Mail Manager Locking Security Mailbox
21 x 10.8 x 11.2 inches
Mail Boss 7160 Metro Mailbox
7.2 x 15.4 x 14.8 inches
Epoch 7106 Mail Boss Locking Mailbox
21 x 11.2 x 13.8 inches
Mail Boss 7500 Manager Pro Locking Security Mailbox
21 x 10.8 x 11.2 inches
Gibraltar MSK00000 Lockable Security Mailbox
8 x 13 x 16 inches
Gibraltar DMVKGV04 Locking Mailbox
4.8 x 10.3 x 13.5 inches
Gibraltar DMVKGV04 Locking Mailbox
15 x 17 x 15 inches
Galvanized Steel and Cast Aluminum
Architectural Mailboxes 6200B-10 Oasis Jr. Locking Mailbox
11.5 x 15 x 18 inches
CastleBox 88687 Extra Large Locking Mailbox
20.5 x 15.8 x 11.2 inches
dVault® Parcel Protector Vault DVU0050 Locking Mailbox
14.5 x 34.2 x 14.5 inches
Mail Boss (as the name suggests) is a manufacturer that focuses purely on making mail boxes. Truth be told, they’re pretty good at it as well. They have released several mail boxes that are not only categorized as some of the best ones in the market, but they have also been approved by the USPS (United States Postal Service). Why? We are just about to get to that.
Let’s first talk about what the mail box is actually made of. This box isn’t made of cheap metal like your typical mail box. It is made of 14 and 16-guage electro galvanized welded steel. This basically means that you could hit the top of the mail box with a sledge hammer and you’ll barely put a dent on the thing.
The box has two main openings. One is where the mail man will put in the envelopes and the other is the compartment with the lock. The opening for the packages is wide enough so the mail man could easily stuff a small package in there. But, the opening is just too small for someone to fit their hand inside and pull out an envelope.
Another safety mechanism of this box is that it can’t be forced open with a crow bar. The anti-pry latch design prevents the thief from using a blunt object. The box contains a 12-disc wafer lock with three keys. The lock is impossible to pick but make sure you take good care of your keys.
The mail box can easily be suspended on any existing steel rod or wooden pole. You can choose from four different colors; Black, Bronze, Granite and White.
- Approved by the USPS.
- Made from electro galvanized welded steel to protect against vandalism.
- Engineered opening is wide enough for packages but too small for fishing.
- Anti-pry latch design prevents force entry with a crowbar.
- You can choose from four different colors.
- The mail box isn’t waterproof and your mail will get wet in the rain.
- Might not be suitable for people that often receive magazine because the box isn’t that spacious.
- The key might get jammed inside the lock.
The second mail box from Mail Boss and trust us, you’re going to see a lot more of Mail Boss on this list. The first mailbox was a curb side mailbox that is mounted on a pole. But, this mailbox is completely different because it is hung on a wall. These types of mailboxes are usually hung on porches. But, closer to your door doesn’t exactly mean that it’s safe, that is why you need the 7160 Metro Mailbox.
The body of this box is the same as the other mail box that we discussed. It is made of 14 and 16-guage electro galvanized steel which makes it pretty tough and protect the box against vandalism. Setting up a wall mount mailbox is a little tougher than fixing a box on a post. But, the innovative mounting bracket on this mail box makes it quick and easy to install. The 7160 can be installed on anything. It can be set up on brick wall, wood, stucco and, in short, anything that you can think of.
The design of this is also the similar to the other one from Mail Boss. It has a patented anti-pry latch system so you can’t unlock it by force. The anti-pry latch combined with the 12-wafer disc lock is all you need to prevent leveraged entry. The box also holds up pretty nicely in rough weather. That’s a must have if you live in moldy areas because you don’t want your mail to get wet.
- 14 and 16-gauge electro-galvanized steel makes it pretty tough.
- The mounting brackets make installation an easy process.
- The mailbox can be installed on pretty much anything.
- Anti-pry latch design to prevent forced entry.
- The mail box is weather resistant.
- The opening is a little wider than you’d want it to be. Someone with thin hands could easily pull out all your mail.
- A persistent thief could just rip this off of your wall.
This is another mail box from the familiar Mail Boss. Most of the specs for this mail box are the same as the previous ones but a few changes make this mail box much tougher and easier to use.
Let’s get into the unique features of this mailbox first. This box is made from 12 and 14-gauge electro galvanized steel which is much stronger and durable than the 14 and 16-gauge steel that was used in the other two mailboxes. If you think that the other two could take a beating, well then, you’re in for a surprise with this one. The mailbox comes in four different colors so you can buy one that matches with the color of your house. The colors are Black, Bronze, Granite and White.
One of the best things about this box is the space. It has a ton of space for your mail and it can probably hold up about 3-4 weeks of mail. However, the outgoing mail slot could be a little wider because it can’t fit anything larger than a DVD. The design of this box is also similar to the other boxes. It has an anti-pry latch system to prevent entry with a crowbar. The mail box contains a patented Fast-Trak Mounting Plate that makes it simple to install with a post in just a matter of minutes. Powder-coated finish makes it the perfect kryptonite to rough weather.
- 12 and 14-gauge electro galvanized steel make it as durable as you’d want.
- There are four colors you can choose from.
- The box is really roomy and can store a good amount of mail.
- Anti-pry latch to prevent forced entry.
- Fast-Trak Mounting Plate for quick and easy installation.
- Powder-coated finish for weather resistance.
- The outgoing mail slot could be a little bit wider.
- Some would say that the box is too heavy at 41 pounds. But, we don’t think that is a problem because the pole on your curb won’t complain.
This mail box also has the same look as the other ones from Mail Boss but it doesn’t have few changes on the basis of functionality. You might be getting tired of all the Mail Boss boxes on this list, but rest assured, a USPS approved item like this one deserves recognition.
The mailbox is made of the same 14 and 16-gauge electro galvanized steel. You know the drill; this steel is perfect to protect the box from vandalism. The case is a little different in terms of compartments. All of the other Mail Boss boxes on this list had an outgoing mail slot. Well, this one doesn’t. You have to stick the mail on the side of the box or clip it on and hope that no one steals it. This is pretty serious disadvantage of this mailbox.
This mailbox comes with the standard Mail Boss baffle door design that has more than enough room for packages and envelops. But the opening is narrow enough so that no suspicious hands can reach down and grab your mail. Then there is also the same anti-pry latch design that is always pretty decent to have.
The 7500 includes a patented Fast-Trak Mounting Plate that makes sure you can easily install the mailbox in minutes. You don’t need to be a handyman to setup this mailbox. Anyone with two hands could do this is a short amount of time.
- USPS approved mailbox.
- Made from 14 and 16 gauge electro galvanized steel for added protection.
- Baffle door design to prevent fishing.
- Anti-pry latch design to prevent forced entry.
- Fast-Trak Mounting Plate for easy installation.
- The box doesn’t have a slot for outgoing mail. You’re going to have to stick it outside the box.
- Reinforcement plate on the top of the box prevents larger packages from fitting.
The best thing about Gibraltar Mailboxes is that they’re affordable. You’re not going to have to empty your wallet just to get a mailbox; you can purchase this one without putting a dent on your budget. However, affordable also means lower quality. While these mailboxes are pretty strong in their own right, they are nowhere as durable as the ones from Mail Boss.
Gibraltar mail box is made from pure aluminum which offers just enough protection but it isn’t that strong. A persistent thief will get through this mailbox if they spend some time trying to open it. As we said earlier, these boxes are tough but they are nothing compared to the ones from Mail Boss but they do their job fairly well. One good thing about this box is that it can be used on curbs and porches. You could hang it on a wall on suspend it on a post.
The mailbox comes in two different colors; Black and White. There are separate compartments for outgoing and incoming mail. Just like some of the best mailboxes out there, this one also has an indicator flag to tell the mailman that you have outgoing mail. The upside of having an aluminum mailbox is that it never rusts. The powder coated aluminum offers the perfect protection against corrosion.
- Extremely affordable. You can easily buy this mailbox.
- Aluminum body will discourage most mail thieves.
- You could hang this mailbox on both curbs and porches.
- You can choose from two different colors.
- Indicator flag to mark outgoing mail.
- The mailbox doesn’t rust.
- Aluminum body isn’t the perfect material to protect your mail.
- Most customers complain that their product had manufacturing defects which is a proof of the poor production from Gibraltar. Some people were even missing keys.
- The mailbox should have more space for incoming mail.
Gibraltar makes some of the most affordable mailboxes out there. The DMVKGV04 proves that because this specific mailbox is the cheapest one on this list. This box is much better than the other Gibraltar mailbox and its one of the fancier ones as well.
This mailbox might be cheap but it is made from solid material. The body of the mailbox is made from pure electro galvanized steel which ensures durability. The outer body of the box is plated with Venetian Bronze which is really good looking and blends well with any wall. The Venetian bronze also protects the case against corrosion and rust. Unlike most of the best locking mailboxes out there, this mailbox isn’t imported. It was designed and manufactured completely within the United States. The mailbox is pretty lightweight too.
The mailbox has two coverings before you can get into the main mail compartment. The first covering is just to enclose the top of the mail slot and protect it from rain. Once you remove the top, there is the mail slot and a lock. The mail slot is pretty thin and can’t hold anything other than envelopes. The second covering opens when you unlock it and voila! You can now take out your mail.
- The cheapest mailbox on our list.
- Made from electro galvanized steel to protect the box from vandalism.
- Venetian bronze not only looks good, but it also helps to prevent corrosion.
- Manufactured in the United States.
- Weather resistant mailbox.
- The mail slot is too small and it can’t fit any packages.
- The bronze finish isn’t durable.
- Just like the previous Gibraltar box, this one also comes with manufacturing defects. Broken lids, chipped off finish and faulty locks/keys are just some of the things that Gibraltar customers have to deal with.
The Geneva Locking Mailbox is made of heavy gauge aluminum and electro galvanized steel. The steel protects the box from vandalism and the aluminum offers optimal protection against rusting and other climatic effects. The mailbox is available in four different colors; Black, Bronze, Sand and White. The best feature of this mailbox is its huge size. For some people that is a disadvantage because due to the huge size, this box can’t be mounted on a regular post with bolts. You need to spend some extra money and buy the 4 x 4 plate from Architectural Mailboxes because the mailbox won’t be secure on anything else. The posts also come in the same colors as the mailbox.
The mailbox has one of the largest delivery doors. This is perfect for people that want to be able to receive huge packages. The intricate design of the Geneva has a wide opening but no one could stuff their hand inside. The front opening for the mailbox also has a concealed mail clip and outgoing mail indicator. One other thing about this box is that has two openings for you to take out your mail. There is a smaller compartment on the front and a second larger door on the back.
- The mailbox looks great on anyone’s curb.
- Made of heavy gauge aluminum and electro galvanized steel.
- Available in four different colors.
- Large interior delivery door and incoming mail compartment.
- Concealed outgoing mail clip and indicator flag.
- Two different compartments to take out your mail.
- The mailbox can’t fit on a generic post and needs a specific mounting plate and post.
- Some people complain that the box is “too large”. Well, that’s what it is supposed to be.
- It is possible to stick a crowbar in the rear compartment.
This is the second mailbox from Architectural Mailboxes and one look at this mailbox and it is obvious that the manufacturers didn’t care about the looks of this one. Much like the ones from Mail Boss, this mailbox cares only about ultimate protection for your mail and that’s it.
The 6200B Mailbox is a Postmaster General approved mailbox and its heavy-duty body provides all the protection that you could ever need for your mail. The box is made of heavy 16 and 18-gauge galvanized steel to protect the box from the not-so-discreet mail thieves. The mailbox also has a powder coating to protect the box from rusting. Weather resistance is a huge benefit of this mailbox. The doors have rubber seals to make sure that your mail doesn’t get wet. Every single piece of material used in the making of this mailbox is anti-corrosive. The entire outer body is a single piece of metal which also prevent moisture from reaching the mail.
The 6200B comes in three different colors; Black, Graphite Bronze and Sand. Just like the last Architectural Mailbox, this one also needs to be fixed on their post with the special mounting plate. Also, this box is just as spacious as the last one. The interior compartment can hold up a few weeks worth of mail and the receiving mail slot is big enough to accept large packages.
- Postmaster General approved mailbox.
- 16 and 18-gauge mailbox to prevent vandalism.
- Anti corrosive and weather resistant.
- Rubber seals to protect the mail from rain.
- You can choose from multiple colors.
- Really roomy interior compartment and receiving slot.
- The mailbox is possible to be opened with a crowbar.
- A small hand could go fishing through the mail slot.
Well, we’ll say this first; this mailbox costs much more than what normal people are willing to pay to protect their mail. But, at the same time, CastleBox Mailbox is the safest and the most spacious mailbox out there. The price might be too much but the impenetrable product does the price justice.
The mailbox is made of heavy duty 12-gauge galvanized steel with powder coated finish for lasting durability. We can assure you that no thief is breaking into this mailbox. The 88687 is the perfect box to protect the mail from getting wet. The 1” rain guard overhang ensures that your mail remains warm and cozy even if it is pouring outside. The mailbox also has a special three-digit lock. The lock can be changed as frequently as you like. If you don’t like the digit lock, the box also has a lock and two keys. You can easily replace the digit lock with a regular lock.
Another good thing about this mailbox is that it is huge. Normally, people don’t want huge boxes like this one but if you travel often, this is a necessity. The box is big enough to store prescription drugs, magazines, checks and even the biggest of packages. You can hang this box on a wall, secure it there, or even suspend it on a post. It has mounting holes so you can put it wherever you like.
- Heavy duty 12-gauge galvanized steel makes sure that no one can get in the wrong way.
- 1” rain guard for rain protection.
- Three-digit lock with combination that can be changed as often as you like.
- Replaceable lock and key included.
- Big enough to store pretty much anything.
- Can be hung on a wall or suspended on a post.
- To be honest, there isn’t a disadvantage to this mailbox ( Well, if you’re a mail thief then you probably have the right to hate everything about this box. lol. Just kidding. Don't take it seriously 😀 ).
If you’re looking to buy an affordable mailbox then pay no attention to this one. This mailbox will put a huge dent on your budget. But, if you’re looking for a mailbox that is impeccable, then you have reached your destination.
The two main features of this mailbox are its size and receiving mail slot. The secure-drop door has enough space for all types of packages without a problem.
The dVault box has enough space for store several weeks worth of mail without a problem. You might be thinking that the wide opening might be a problem and people are going to get their hands on your mail. But, you don’t need to worry because the intricate design of your mailbox prevents them from doing so.
The mailbox itself is constructed with 16-gauge electro galvanized steel and we all know how good that is to prevent people from breaking in. The anti-pry door and Posi Keyed lock make sure that no one can get in forcefully. The mailbox is designed and manufactured in the United States. The box comes in five different variety of colors; Copper Vein, Black, Grey, Sand and White.
- Secure-drop door provides enough space for packages but prevents fishing.
- Large storage area can store a ton of mail.
- Constructed with 16-gauge electro galvanizes steel.
- Anti-pry door design for protection against crowbars.
- Made in USA.
- You can choose from five different colors.
- Mounting plate isn’t as heavy and strong as it should be.
How to choose the Best Locking Mailboxes: Buyer’s Guide
We have discussed below some of the best locking mailboxes but we should also discuss some of the common qualities among them that make them what they are. If you’re a pro, then you probably know what you’re looking for. But, if you’re not, and you want to buy a box other than the ones we mentioned, then go ahead and read on and you’ll learn everything there is to learn about buying these boxes.
Should You Buy Curbside or Wall Mount Mailboxes?
Honestly, it doesn’t make that much of a different. They both have their perks. Curbside boxes are pretty bulky and have more space but you’re going to need a mounting plate and post to put them up. This costs some more money and a ton more time. Wall mount are pretty easy to set up but they don’t have that much space. Curbside will be getting a ton of dust and rain so they need to be durable. Wall Mount mailboxes can be cheap because they don’t have to withstand that much wear and tear.
How Much Mail Do You Get Regularly?
Mail space is one of the main factors affecting mailboxes. Most mailboxes are pretty spacious while some aren’t. Manufacturers like Mail Boss typically make huge boxes while Gibraltar makes smaller boxes. You need to think about how much mail you get on normal days and buy a box accordingly. If you travel often, then make sure you buy a pretty large box because your mail will need to be safe until you come back.
How Much Should You Pay for Mailboxes?
Mailboxes can go for about $30-$1000. Each mailbox in between that price range is made of a special material and you should consider a few things before spending money on the box. The cost depends on what type of mail you get and how much you want to protect it. If you only receive normal envelopes and a few bills here and there, then a mailbox less than $100 will suffice. But, if you get prescription drugs, cheques and packages on a regular basis, then you should go at least over $300.
The Bottom Line:
While there are some places in the world where mail theft does not matter, but we the Americans aren’t so fortunate. It’s vital that you should keep your mail safe because mail theft inevitably leads to identity theft. So, if you want to keep your records clean and protect your identity then go ahead and buy one of the best locking mailboxes out there because there isn’t anything else that can help you for this issue.